Top Test-Taking Tips for Elementary Students

For Kindergarten through 6th Grade

Week 7- “T-1 Week” Lesson 2

on October 13, 2022

Date: October 13th, 2022

by: Hailey Palella

Week 7 Already????

I cannot believe it is already week 7. Last week was my first teaching day and I thought it went very well and I am very pleased of how it went. As I discussed with my professor, not everything in a lesson will go perfectly and that is okay! I also learned it is okay to deviate from my lesson plan! I think because I have been taught the lesson plan layout and have been told to be very specific with the details in my lesson plans that I forget the reality of teaching which is not always reading from the lesson plan and that it is okay to add in things that are not in the lesson plan in and during my teaching.

This week I am focusing on my Reading and Phonics lesson. I am more nervous about teaching phonics because I am terrible at it myself. I think, “How am I going to teach students something I am not confident in myself?” However, I know that phonics instruction will not go away and that I need to start becoming more comfortable with it before I am in a classroom by myself. I really like when my MT teaches phonics, she is such a natural at it. Every day I am in awe of how amazing, kind, sweet, helpful, and supportive my MT is. I cannot say this enough, I am truly grateful that I got placed with my MT, I have learned so much from her in the past 7 weeks and I cannot wait to continue to learn! She is truly the best person I have ever met and is the true definition of loving what you do, she was made to teach!

As I mentioned, I will be teaching reading and phonics on October 20th and I am very excited but also nervous at the same time. I have a brief lesson plan outline right now and this week I will be finishing my first draft lesson plan for my literacy lesson.

Here is my brief outline of my lesson thus far:

• AS: Read the story, “Spookly the Square Pumpkin” written by Joe Troiano (ask students questions before reading, during, and after reading about sequencing- what has happened so far, what do you think will happen next?)
  • DI: Briefly review what sequencing is, what characters are, and what the setting means, discuss time words
  • GP: Use a premade graphic organizer with boxes to write the characters, setting and sequence of the story (beginning, middle, and end), scribe students’ answers on the SB (WG), have students turn and talk and have them practice retelling the story to a partner- including the parts of the story that we just discussed
  • DI: Use Phonics Curriculum PowerPoint- phonological awareness warm up, fluency (high-frequency words)
  • IP: Student Workbook- pg.55 (fluency, word chains, passage reading)
  • C: Provide Workbook Answers- Transition- (clean up, prepare students for social studies)

I am very excited to teach Reading and Phonics this week! 🙂

This weeks theme was nocturnal animals, so today I read the story, “Littlebat’s Halloween Story” written by Joe Troiano.

Another thing that I started this week was my newsletter! I am very pleased with it! Here is a sneak peek of it!

posted at 5:04pm on Thursday October 13th, 2022