Top Test-Taking Tips for Elementary Students

For Kindergarten through 6th Grade

Week 12- 2 Weeks Left! :(

on November 17, 2022

Date: November 17th, 2022

by: Hailey Palella

4th Lesson! Math

I taught math today! Math has always been a struggle from me. I think it is because I had such horrible math teachers and they were never helpful. The only math teacher that I ever had that was good was when I was a student at Joliet Junior College! I never want to be those terrible math teachers. I went into the lesson being nervous but I always am! I just have very high expectations for myself and I want to keep doing my best! I am going to be honest but usually during this time in the semester I begin to slip and get so unmotivated and tired of doing a lot of work (burnt out), I am going to try my best not to do that this year! Anyways, I thought I was really prepared to teach math today and I had enough practice to feel confident teaching. As always, I tried my best and that is all I can do!

Here is the outline of the math lesson that I taught today:

• AS: Brief Introduction to Lesson- “I Can” Statement
  • DI: Fluency Practice- Rewrite Expressions as 10+ sentences, 5-Group Flash, Teen Number Bonds
  • GP: Concept Development, Application Problem
  • IP: Exit Ticket
  • C: Student Debrief- Review (debrief questions regarding problem set)

Here are some of my lesson materials that I used to teach this lesson!

Link to Eureka Math Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zONwJCKIRQ97iglbU2heJqzXADSVCqnfE-b9LJQu8Ns/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some of the slides!

Application Problem
Teen Number Bonds

During all of my lessons, I always try my best to incorporate all of the things that I want to before running out of time. This lesson was different because I was able to teach longer which was nice. The students start their day with math every Thursday, so it was nice to start my lesson at 9:15am and end around 10:30am because we did not have to stop and switch or do anything throughout besides a bathroom break. I was originally going to start teaching at 9:30am but my MT said to change it because she said she starts math earlier, which was fine because it gave me more time to teach and make sure I got all of the content in.

This week was the last week before Thanksgiving! The students are really excited to have a break for Thanksgiving and I am sure the teachers are too! I am also excited to have a little break and have sometime to get things done for my courses. There are so many things to be thankful for, so I am going to write three things that I am thankful in this post as Thanksgiving approaches, my family, my field placement now and student teaching placement, and my job/ my daycare babies. Since Thanksgiving is around the corner, I read a book to the students called, “The FireFighters Thanksgiving” written by Maribeth Boelts and illustrated by Terry Widener. It was such a good book and the students loved it!

“The FireFighters Thanksgiving” written by Maribeth Boelts

I am very excited for student teaching and I am going to implement all of the things that I have learned from this field placement when I got to student teach. My MT right now is the definition of loving what you do. I look at her everyday with awe of how well she manages her classroom/students, and how well she teaches, especially math, she’s amazing at it. I hope to become a teacher like my MT some day and I am really going to miss her when our time ends. The students in the classroom have asked me to come back for the end of the year and I told them I would stop by. One student asked me, “So you are not going to be in the year book?” and I told her, “No, I am not a real teacher yet, just learning to become one.” and she said, “Can you come back and see us?” and I said, “Of course.”

I look forward to my last lesson which will be science, which is my favorite subject!! I asked my MT what my topic is going to be for science so I can get a head start on my lesson plan during the break. The theme/topic that I will be teaching for science is candy canes and predictions! I am very excited to teach science as I mentioned because it is my favorite subject when I was in school. Science is so fun, interesting, and most importantly hands-on which is something that students’ need throughout the school day!

I am very pleased with how my lesson went today. I know that every lesson will not be perfect in the field, student teaching, and once I get a job in teaching, however at the end of the day I want to be the best teacher that I can be. I hope to keep improving and become the best person and educator that I can be for these kids, they deserve it!!

Here is a picture of one of the students’ exit tickets, this student received mastery on the rubric that I created! This makes me happy.

I look forward to my science lesson and having the week off for Thanksgiving! Gobble Gobble!

posted on Thursday, November 17th at 6:41pm