Top Test-Taking Tips for Elementary Students

For Kindergarten through 6th Grade

Week 8- Lesson Day: Reading and Phonics

on October 20, 2022

Date: October 20th, 2022

by: Hailey Palella

2nd Lesson Day

Today I taught my second lesson! As same as the first lesson; going in I was very excited and prepared. I practiced my lesson multiple times for teaching it and I was very pleased with the result of my lesson plan and materials. The assessment checklist, not so much. I am not sure why but I had a harder time assessing students during this lesson, I think it was because I was not evaluating a final product.

Although, creating a lesson plan, gathering materials, and designing an assessment checklist is hard and time consuming. I am glad to be one step closer to student teaching! After this one, I teach three more times and then I move onto student teaching which is very exciting!

Although, I was excited to teach my lesson. I was a bit overwhelmed this time doing my lesson plan. I am not sure why, I think its because I had a lot of big assignments due this week. However, I made it through!

below is my lesson plan outline:

AS: Read the story, “The Legend of Spookly the Square Pumpkin” written by Joe Troiano (ask students questions before reading, during, and after reading about sequencing- what has happened so far, what do you think will happen next?)

DI: Briefly review what sequencing is, what characters are, and what the setting means, discuss time words (first, next, then, last)

GP: Use a premade graphic organizer with boxes to write the characters, setting and sequence of the story (beginning, middle, and end), scribe students’ answers on the SB (WG), then have students turn and talk and have them practice retelling the story to a partner- including the parts of the story that we just discussed.

DI: Use Phonics Curriculum PowerPoint- phonological awareness warm up, fluency (high-frequency words)

IP: Student Workbook- pg.55 (fluency, word chains, passage reading) (provide workbook answers throughout the lesson)

C: Review Phonics, begin transition for social studies

Here are some of the materials that I will be using in my lesson:

Although, teaching today was challenging, I am ready to move on and improve! I tried my best and that is all that matters.! 🙂

I look forward to another week in the classroom! My next lesson is also reading and phonics and I need to start thinking of ideas now!

Onto the next! 🙂

posted at 5:42pm -Thursday, October 20th, 2022