Top Test-Taking Tips for Elementary Students

For Kindergarten through 6th Grade

Week 10: Lesson Day! Story Structure and Dialogue: Visualization

on November 3, 2022

“A Cupcake Party” written by David McPhail

Date: November 3rd, 2022

By: Hailey Palella

I cannot believe it is November already! I am almost more than half way done with this semester and I cannot wait for student teaching! Today I taught my third lesson out of five, over half way done! (Week of October 31st). I taught reading today. The focus of this week is story structure and dialogue. Before my lesson today, the students were already exposed to the story for this week, “A Cupcake Party” written by David McPhail. The students were also learned about quotations before I taught my lesson. To introduce the lesson, I referred back to what my MT mentioned that the students learned about this week and that was dialogue, we discussed what dialogue was and I gave them a clue because they forgot. The clue that I gave the students was drawing quotation marks on the white board and that little cue switched a light in their brain.

I thought this lesson plan was the easiest so far to complete, I am not sure why. I am thinking the reason is because I am getting more and more confident as I write them, which I think is great.

As always, I was very excited to teach today. I was prepared and had everything ready to go before hand. I made sure that the technology worked and also assured that I had a back up. It is very important to have a back up plan just incase technology fails, because it does and it will.

Here is the outline of the lesson that I taught today:

• AS: Introduce Visualization (five senses), provide examples of five senses- (ask students for examples of what they feel/touch/taste/see/smell/visualize when they are at the movie theater- SB activity)
  • DI: Discuss visualizing parts of a story, review and read the story, “A Cupcake Party” written and illustrated by David McPhail (TTW point out specific parts in story that students can visualize, TTW pause and have students visualize parts in the story and then have students explain what they are visualizing); model visualizing strategy.
  • GP: Brief, turn and talk activity- visualization of a playground in the summertime (google slide with image)
  • IP: Complete premade graphic organizer with six boxes (five senses- what can I hear/see/smell/touch/taste/visualize in the story from the story)
  • C: Review visualization with students (TTW ask for some examples), prepare students for phonics

Overall, I thought the lesson went well. As I mentioned before, I always think that there can be room for improvements. For my next lesson, I hope to improve on facilitating instruction, differentiation, and engage students in more problem solving and critical thinking. I hope to do all of these things for my last lesson, which is science. My next lesson (November 17th) is math and I am not too sure how I would be able to do much differentiation with such a scripted curriculum. I still have time to think about it.

I am very nervous to teach math, as I mentioned in my last post, knowing this I need to practice a lot before I teach.

I look forward to week 11!

Lesson Materials:

• “A Cupcake Party” book cover
  • Graphic Organizer- Visualize It!

posted on: November 3rd, 2022 at 5:29pm